2nd of May up next
1) When did you become a Gashead and why?
I went to my first game when I was 8. We were 2-0 down to Chester with 20 mins to go and Devon White bundled in a brace to secure an unlikely draw. Cue enormous Twerton roar and I was hooked for life.
2) What is your opinion on the season so far?
I’m really impressed with how the likes of Sinclair, Leadbitter, James Clarke and Taylor have taken to league football and improved for the step up. Very promising.
3) Best moment(s) of this season so far?
Ellis’s penalty at Oxford. Such a shame to hear he was going out on loan after the match.
4) Worst moment(s) of this season so far?
My glass has been pretty full this season to be honest. Maybe Plymouth’s late equaliser against us, but that was still a good result.
5) Do you expect any arrivals before the loan window shuts and IF you could bring in a player or two, who (realistically) would you opt for?
Yes, I expect a couple of signings. There are far better judges out there than me, but we’ve got enough old heads now. I’d like to see an ambitious non league striker or winger brought in who is on the up, looking to grab their chance as a pro.
6) What is your opinion of Darrell Clarke now he has been in charge for nearly two years?
Hard to fault. He’s done most things right since he’s been here. No mean achievement amidst the chaotic mess behind the scenes. Wish he’d stop scratching and fidgeting in interviews though 🙂
7) Early days I know, but what is your opinion on Wael Al-Qadi and Steve Hamer so far?
I don’t really have a strong opinion to give yet. They are obviously on a big charm offensive, which is playing very well with the fans, but the proof of the pudding is in the eating, (resist temptation to do Alan Partridge quote!) and we shall see in a couple of years time. No debt and a ground owned solely by the club would be amazing. Somehow, though, I expect it will be a more complicated outcome than this.
8) What do you expect from the new owners and if you could give them one bit of advice what would it be?
I expect them to make all decisions with the best interest of the club at heart. Nothing more, nothing less.
9) If you could have one thing from the new owners, what (realistically) would it be?
A new ground owned solely by the club.
10) Now Nick Higgs has gone, what is your opinion on his reign as Chairman?
Awful. A complete shambles off the pitch and for the most part, on it. Awful relationship with the fans, for whom he didn’t seem to care about. I know this might just be perception, but perception is important. His legacy is now, rather oddly, totally dependent on what becomes of the club under the new owners.
11) Where do you see us in 10 years time?
Who knows. I expect we will have a new ground. I’ll say we’ll be in the third tier, like we have been for most of our post-war history. Wouldn’t be a bad result, either.
12) Favourite current player?
Tricky. I really like a lot of the squad but particularly like seeing our youth players coming through. With special mentions for Tom Lockyer and Ollie Clarke, I’m going for Ellis, who I met a couple of times when I lived in Newport when he had just signed as a youth player for us. He is a lovely lad at heart and we have a lot to thank him for as his goals at the end of last season played a huge role in getting us back in the league. We mustn’t write him off.
13) Favourite former player/s?
Nigel Martyn, Gary Penrice and the whole of our ’89/’90 squad, for starters. Special mention for Tim Carter, RIP. These were the players I grew up with.
14) If you were stuck on a desert island with one person who would you most and least like it to be?
I don’t think life would be worth living without my son, whereas the worst person would be George Osborne; snide, smug and underhand. I’d be expecting a knife in my back at any moment!
15) And finally, have you looked where Jordan is on the map?
I haven’t! I know roughly where it is, but wouldn’t be confident of pinpointing it exactly!